7/12/10

Review: Insatiable by Meg Cabot


Book: Insatiable by Meg Cabot
Genre: Paranormal
Rating: A
For: Fun and Review
From: ARC copy sent by author (Release date June 8)

Sick of vampires? So is Meena Harper.

But her boss is making her write about them anyway, even though Meena doesn’t believe in them.

Not that Meena isn’t familiar with the supernatural. See, Meena Harper knows how you’re going to die (not that you’re going to believe her; no one ever does).

But not even Meena’s precognition can prepare her for what happens when she meets—then makes the mistake of falling in love with—Lucien Antonescu, a modern-day prince with a bit of a dark side . . . a dark side a lot of people, like an ancient society of vampire-hunters, would prefer to see him dead for.

The problem is, he already is dead. Maybe that’s why he’s the first guy Meena’s ever met that she could see herself having a future with. See, while Meena’s always been able to see everyone else’s future, she’s never been able look into her own.

And while Lucien seems like everything Meena has ever dreamed of in a boyfriend, he might turn out to be more like a nightmare.

Now might be a good time for Meena to start learning to predict her own future . . .
If she even has one.

Cover:
I have so much cover lust for this one. The dress is absolutely GORGEOUS! The dragon cuff on her arm and the stake she is holding adds a dangerous feel to the cover. LOVE IT!

Story:
Just like all the other Cabot fans out there, I was excited to get my hands on Insatiable. I have to admit, I was tempted to put it down in the beginning. If it wasn't Cabot, I might have. The first few chapters were pretty mundane and boring. Not only that, but the point of view switched between characters. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE stories with different point of views. But we saw point of views from big and small characters, and that made it hard for me to get a "feel" of this book at first. But I stuck through, and once the story picked up, I was so glad I did!

By the time of Meena and Lucien's first encounter, it was unputdownable (yes, I made up a word) for me. Meena was such a strong main character. She did what she thought was right, no matter the consequences. Her ability to know how one will die was very neat. It was also a fun twist that she happened to hate the whole vampire craze, then one of her love interests turns out to be a vampire. You gotta love the irony.

What would a paranormal romance be without a love triangle? Insatiable certainly has one. You have Lucien, the powerful and scary vampire prince with a sensitive side. Then there is the charismatic Alaric. While I am team Lucien, I can't claim to dislike Alaric. They both bring good and bad qualities to the table. I loved seeing each of their point of views. It gave the reader a good look into all sides of the story.

Insatiable brings back the Dracula appeal to vampires. They are dark and dangerous by nature. Insatiable felt a like Dracula meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. But Cabot also adds her hilarious sense of humor to the mix to balance out the angst and action.

I have mixed feelings about the ending. On one hand I am upset, because it did NOT go the way I wanted it to. On the other hand, it looks like it sets it up for an exciting sequel. And boy do I want a sequel! Insatiable was another win that Cabot can add under her belt. She continues her ability to capture her readers. I recommend this one to paranormal romance lovers that are looking for a different spin on the vampire love story. Just wait it out for the first few chapters. You will be so happy that you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment!


books
I Love YA Romance Books